Archive for the "Brunch" Category
Miles of Hope, the Hudson Valley’s only local breast cancer foundation, announced today the awarding of scholarships in 4 counties, to high school seniors whose lives have been affected by breast cancer.
- General Scholarship: Scholarship awarded to students affected by breast cancer.
- Betty Benecke Memorial Scholarship: Students meeting the Miles of Hope scholarship criteria and pursuing a career in the arts.
- Betty Howard Memorial Scholarship: Students meeting the Miles of Hope scholarship criteria and who plan to pursue a healthcare related field of study.
- Michael Benecke Memorial Scholarship: Students meeting the Miles of Hope scholarship criteria and reflect Michael’s values of the importance of higher education and social justice.
The 10th Annual Spring Brunch for the Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation at the Grandview in Poughkeepsie is this Sunday, May 4, from 11- 2:00.
“This year we have a special program planned in honor of our 10th Anniversary,” explained Miles of Hope Executive Director Pari Forood. “We will be awarding our scholarship recipients at the Brunch and honoring them and their parents.”
2014 Scholarship Recipients:
- Darren Pikul, Highland – Highland High School- Onondaga Community College
- Kayley Spinella, Poughkeepsie – Arlington High School – Betty Howard Scholarship Recipient – Kings College, Brooklyn
- Kaitlin Pearson, East Chatham – Chatham High School – Syracuse University
- Claire Mulpeter, Red Hook – Red Hook High School – Ithaca College
“Each scholarship recipient will receive $3000 toward their college expenses,” explained Miles of Hope co-Founder Cathy Varunok. “The Scholarship Committee made up of current and retired educators and community leaders chose these high school seniors from a list of very qualified candidates.”
“There will also be a special 10th Anniversary Video highlighting Miles of Hope volunteers and programs,” added co-Founder Dana Effron. “This video will enable us to share with the 500 supporters in our audience footage from many of our events and best wishes from the participants, volunteers, and organizers.”
“None of this would be possible without our extraordinary sponsors!” reminded Brunch Chairwoman Lisa Arnoff of Arnoff Moving and Storage. “Without Health Quest, Arnoff Moving and Storage, Premier Medical Group, BMW of the Hudson Valley, Dana and Ira Effron, D’Arcangelo and Co, Half Time Beverage, Hudson Cadillac Buick GMC, and Hudson River Fruit Distributors/The Albinder Family, we would not be able to help people in the Hudson Valley affected by breast cancer.”