Miles of Hope Grants, Scholarships and Funded Programs
Scholarships for Students
Medical Gap Care Fund
What do we fund?
The Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation is a not-for-profit organization established in 2004. The Foundation funds support services and programs for people affected by breast cancer in the Hudson Valley. All funds raised for the Foundation are used in the Hudson Valley.
Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis as funds are available. Effective 2013, the Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation will award grants during two annual funding cycles. Award notifications will be made annually in late February and late July.
Projects may be funded in the following areas:
- breast cancer education
- educational outreach to special populations
- support programs (including complementary medicine programs)
- financial aid for social support and ancillary services
To request funding for a program:
|Miles of Hope Scholarships for Students
Purpose: To assist graduating high school students whose lives have been affected by breast cancer. Students must reside within one of the eight New York State counties covered by the Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation: Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Westchester and Ulster.
Award: Eight (8) scholarships of $1,000 each.
Scholarship Criteria: Lives must have been affected by breast cancer.
Deadline: The deadline for the scholarships is April 1 each year.
- Reside within one of the eight New York State counties mentioned above.
- Be a high school student who will graduate by June in the year the scholarship is given.
- Must plan to attend an accredited college or trade school.
Materials to Include with Application
- Copy of high school transcript & SAT scores
- Brief essay describing how their lives have been changed by breast cancer
- Letters of recommendation
- Completed Financial Aid Form
- Parent or guardian tax return
- Completed application form
To apply for a scholarship:
For information on scholarships to the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies for people in treatment for breast cancer, please go to this site: www.eomega.org.
|Miles of Hope Funded Programs
All funds raised in the Hudson Valley are used to support programs in the Hudson Valley.
Some of the current programs funded by the Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation include:
- Complementary Medicine: this includes funding of massage therapy, reiki, acupuncture, music therapy, exercise/yoga/dance, and art therapy programs to enhance recovery.
- Scholarships for college bound high school seniors whose lives have been affected by breast cancer. Scholarships given in all 8 counties.
- Medical Gap Care Fund for individuals who are faced with life emergencies and/or costs not covered by health insurance while they are undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Partner agencies: Dutchess County Community Action Partnership (Dutchess, Columbia), Putnam County Community Action Partnership (Putnam), Family of Woodstock (Ulster, Greene), Cancer Support Team (Westchester), The Greater Hudson Valley Family Health Center (Orange, Rockland)
- Peer to Peer toll free phone line uniting recently diagnosed breast cancer patients with trained survivors.
- La Boutique at Vassar Brothers Medical Center (with satellite locations at Health Alliance Hospital-Mary’s Avenue Campus – Kingston; Putnam Hospital Center – Carmel; and Hudson Valley Hospital Center – Cortlandt Manor, all NY) where women can purchase items related to their on-going treatment.
- A grant to increase the number of people who can participate in ongoing breast cancer support groups in Putnam County and for yoga and ‘meditation for breast care’ classes also in Putnam County.
- A grant to translate a booklet that is a resource to cancer patients and their families into Spanish
- A grant to provide transportation to area hospitals to underinsured women needing mammograms in Northern Westchester.
- A grant to provide one on one counseling service to recently diagnosed breast cancer patients in Westchester and Putnam counties by trained survivors
- A grant for educational materials for recently diagnosed breast cancer patients to Vassar Brothers Medical Center (Dutchess)
- A grant for a massage therapy program for breast cancer patients to VBMC and Putnam Hospital Center
- A grant to fund the Reclaiming Intimacy and Sexuality After Cancer Conference
- A grant for a Young Survivor’s Forum
- A grant for educational materials to be presented to people immediately after their breast cancer diagnosis to Putnam Hospital Center
- A grant to the Dutchess County Art Association/Barrett House for a survivor’s ceramic class
- A grant to the Wall Street Jazz Festival (Ulster) presenting live jazz in Kingston while providing material on breast cancer for the public
- A grant to Support Connection (Westchester) for 20,000 Breast and Ovarian Cancer Educational brochures
- A grant to Support Connection for a peer counseling program for people diagnosed with breast cancer
- A grant (Ulster) for an educational calendar regarding breast cancer risk reduction and healthy lifestyles
- A grant to Benedictine Hospital (Kingston) for an Arts in Wellness program for people diagnosed with breast cancer
- A grant to MidHudson Regional Hospital (Dutchess) for items and appliances for the lobby of the new Cancer Center entitled ‘Tea and Sympathy’
- A grant to MidHudson Regional Hospital (Dutchess) to fund exercise therapy/reflexology/reiki programs
- A grant to St Luke’s Hospital Cornwall (Orange) to help train Peer to Peer Counselors
- A grant to Barrett Art Center (Dutchess) for a clay works survivor therapy class
- A grant to Tennis for Life for a free tennis clinic for survivors in Rockland County
- A grant to Breast Cancer Options for an acupuncture program in Ulster County
- A grant to provide yoga classes for people in treatment and survivors in Westchester County
- Grants to Specialty Fittings to help open facilities: Health Alliance Hospital-Mary’s Avenue Campus; Putnam Hospital Center; and Hudson Valley Hospital (see La Boutique, above)
- A grant to Gilda’s Club of Westchester to fund 2 breast cancer networking groups for young survivors
- A grant to Sharsheret of Rockland to educate and support ultra-orthodox Jewish women
- A grant to Sparrow’s Nest of the Hudson Valley to provide meals to families affected by breast cancer
- A grant to Northern Westchester Hospital for a Breast Health Initiative for Underserved Women to receive free, accessible, comprehensive and timely breast health services from education, screening, risk assessment and intervention to diagnosis, state-of-the-art treatment and follow-up
- A grant to Cancer Support Team of Mamaroneck to enhance the delivery of home based services for breast cancer patients including massage, reflexology, nutrition counseling, yoga, therapeutic touch, reiki, and wigs for treatment-related hair loss.
(Annual programs are italicized.)
To request funding for a program: